Monday, 4 November 2013

Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot

I am not sure what kind of crazy, super-powered flu that was, but it had me laying low for most of October.  As you can imagine, after a couple weeks of misery, I am pretty excited to actually taste my wine again, so I bought myself a little treat.


I first tasted Columbia Crest's wines a few years ago and I have been a fan ever since.  Located in Washington state in the US, Columbia Crest Winery produces mainly Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot as well as a few blends of these varieties.  My special treat this weekend was their Grand Estates Merlot 2010 ($15.95) - it is a full-bodied wine with lots of fruit on the palate, supported by juicy acidity and solid tannins.  Cranberry, blackberry and red plum are accompanied by nuances of cigar, clove and eucalyptus.  This is a big wine, which is not my usual thing, but it was a welcome companion to a hearty saucy beef stew on a chilly November evening.

I am happy to be back to normal routines again, enjoying some of the pleasures of fall, like evenings spent eating comforting food and drinking rich red wine by the fireplace...

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you were down and out. I was looking at this bottle in the Vintages mag the other day wondering about it... wonder no more! Maybe I can still find a bottle on the shelves.

    ReplyDelete